Sunday, August 21, 2005

"In ___ We Trust"

Recently while surfing the atheist blogosphere, in a state that many of you describe as boredom, but others would call a complete absence of working mind, I came across an idea that I had to pass on.

Do you have money? Do you ever actually look at your money? If you did, you would notice the words "In God We Trust" printed on every bill. Funny how the money is printed by the goverment, the same one that is supposed to be devided from religion (but which we all know is not.

The word "God" printed on money is offensive to me, I not beleiving in god and all. This is the currency of our nation, it's fruit, the way it survives. And to have something on it that is offensive to me and I'm pretty sure most other atheists is stupid, unconstitutional, and hypocritical. But that's just me.

So, here's the idea: Take a marker, and cross out the word in question, like so:


(Thanks to I Am (www.evangelicalatheist.com) for the picture).

I know you have a marker, and I know you have atleat one dollar. If your annoyed by the words, do something about it.

And yes, crossing out the words are, in a sense, "illegal." But it is a victimless crime that cannot be traced back to you once you've spent the money. Also, the goverment is not actively enforcing the law against this, beside banning specific stamps that say things like "I don't." underneath "In God We Trust."

I'm gonna start doing that tomorrow, maybe it'll take the edge off the mindless lack of being that brought me upon this idea in the first place. It being 1:00 in the morning, I think I'll go to sleep and dream of a world without god (I mean reality), then I'll wake up refreshed, and resume staring mindlessly at the computer screen for another 18 hours. . .

6 Comments:

Blogger vjack gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

Welcome to atheismonline.com!

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Megan gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

HEAR HEAR! (can't wait till tuesday!)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Aeger gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

vjack, thanks, good to be there,

megan, neither can I

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Austin Cline gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

Just thought I'd let you know that this post was included in the most recent Carnival of the Godless:

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/199481.htm

8:53 AM  
Blogger Delta gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

I ordered a custom-made stamp that says "Keep Church and State Separate" which I stamp on all my bills. I also go to the bank and get all ones, which allows me to distribute 10 marked bills when I go out for dinner rather than just 1 $10 bill. I've been doing it "religiously" for about 6 months now, and I still find it incredibly fun =)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous OB gasped, still in awe of the posts pure goodness...

One of the members at the Restore the Pledge forums has this for his signature:

Over "IN GOD WE TRUST"
on all my money ... I stamp ...

THERE IS NO GOD ... IT'S JUST SUPERSTITION

It's not illegal to deface currency unless the intent is to change the denomination. :-)

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home